Job Title: Piping and Mechanical Designer
Location: Pasadena, TX 77506
Duration: 24+ months (Strong possibility for extension)
Job Description / Requirement:
• A Piping and Mechanical Designer in the PPO WGC region is responsible for the design of piping, supports, structural steel, and related mechanical aspects of numerous small/medium projects in APCI gas, electronics, and chemicals operating facilities located predominately in the Houston, Port Arthur, and western Louisiana areas.
• The principal responsibilities of this position include more general drafting support work including P&ID updates from markups, field verification of P&ID’s as well miscellaneous plot plan, isometric and equipment drawing revisions.
• The Plant Project Organization (PPO) maintains a multi skilled team to implement EH&S, productivity and reliability projects rapidly in coordination with the operating facilities.
• This position has direct accountability to the WGC Project Lead and the Design/P&ID Coordinator who prioritizes and schedules the overall design work.
• The position is located at the Pasadena PUI facility, which serves as the PPO hub in the WGC.
• Geographical Scope: West Gulf Coast (which may include occasional support for facilities north and west such as Midlothian or Austin, and facilities as far south as Corpus Christi).
• Number of Facilities: Approx: 8 manned gas, electronics, and chemicals manufacturing facilities along with numerous unmanned satellites. The majority of facilities are clustered in the Houston area, but some are within a few hours drive. Although the WGC is in the PPO Texas/Latin America region, support in Latin America is generally limited to P&ID updates and similar activities.
• Reports to: WGC Design/P&ID Coordinator
• Functional interaction with:
• Mechanical and I&E Designers (local APCI and contract)
• Project Engineers (local APCI and contract)
• Design/P&ID Coordinator
• Project Technician
• Outside Engineering Companies (mainly for more complex civil/structural needs)
• Overall Supervisory Role: none
• Direct Reporting Staff: none
• Note: Position requires approximately 20% travel; mostly day trips in the Houston area, but some overnight trips required to outlying plants may be required on occasion.
• Update P&IDs from mark-ups
• Develop line lists and tie-in lists
• Perform site walks as needed to field verify P&ID revisions
• Clean up PDS generated isometric drawings and generate consolidated Bill of Materials
• Make revisions to electronic plot plan, underground and equipment drawings.
• Become proficient locating and importing drawings and documents in the APCI electronic data management system (STAC)
• Support Senior Designers in developing detailed Piping/Mechanical Designs for projects in region using PDS (3-D) and Microstation (2-D)
• Become familiar with company piping and mechanical standards and specifications and apply these to project designs
• Ensure inherent safety is adhered to on all developed piping designs
• Provide field support as needed and occasional design updates as required when construction issues may arise
• Maintain records of all changes and assure updated “as-built” documentation is provided at the close of a project
Recommended Skills and Experience:
• Proficient in the use of MicroStation Version J or later
• Basic knowledge of piping systems, components and equipment
• Some working knowledge of PDS (Piping& Equipment)
• Knowledge of Intergraph Smartsketch a plus
• Good interpersonal and organizational skills
• Understanding of how to interpret, use, and update Piping and Instrumentation Drawings (P&IDs)
• 2 or more years of design experience using PDS and Microstation
• Manufacturing plant maintenance and capital projects work process experience
• SAP experience helpful
• Adept at the use of MS Excel
Important Safety Tips: You should find out as much as you can about the company. Meet your prospective employers/employees face to face. You should NOT have to provide your bank account details. Stay safe - read our safety tips.